DeepScale sparked the tiny deep neural network revolution with SqueezeNet. Based in Mountain View, CA, the company develops AI perception software for advanced driver-assistance and autonomous driving, with a focus on implementing efficient neural networks on automotive-grade processors.
Controller/Senior Accounting Manager
The Controller/Senior Accounting Manager will manage a set of accounting activities to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, corporate policies and external audits. This person will manage the accounts payable function, monthly closing of accounts and preparation of reports in support of the financial statements.
This position will report to and work closely with the Director of Finance & Administration and others in the organization in the analysis and reconciliation of accounts, and in development and implementation of accounting policies, procedures and controls.
The ideal candidate possesses leadership capabilities, solid operational and technical accounting background and works proactively to drive results. This person is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Lead the transition of the accounting function from trusted outsourced partner to best-in-class in-house function.
- Hands-on performance of the monthly financial close process, including ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, preparing monthly depreciation, prepaid expense and accrued expense accruals and journal entries, account balance reconciliations and report preparation.
- Ensure proper revenue recognition in accordance with GAAP including the review of any significant contracts to explain the effect certain clauses or milestones have on GAAP revenue recognition.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of processes, controls and system changes.
- Work with Director of Finance on monthly runway analysis, budgeting, and variance analysis.
- Continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices.
- Participate in strategic financial projects including upgrades or implementation of accounting software as needed.
- Ensure compliance with internal control policies and design, implement and maintain accounting policies and procedures.
- Collaborate with external auditors to ensure successful audit results and compliance. Manage corporate documents that facilitate audits and due diligence.
- Interact at all levels and with budget owners or other stakeholders to produce timely, efficient and accurate month-end close and all internal management and financial reporting through annual report.
- Responsible for hierarchy and scalability in chart of accounts and accuracy in the general ledger and financial statements, and has ultimate authority over classification and booking of all transactions.
- Analyze the effect of statutory accounting practices and studies regulations and guidance to ensure correct application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Make recommendations for changes as needed and ensure that company policies and procedures are followed and establishes the proper techniques to discover and prevent fraud.
- Prepare detailed journal entries and account analyses.
- Assist with compilation of information for preparation of tax returns.
- Prepare year-end compliance requirements (business and income tax support). This would include: 1099-Misc, 3921s, Payroll Tax, Delaware Franchise Tax, etc. Prepare summary feedback of financial statements variances to budget.
- Actively review and advise on financial/accounting processes.
Skills & Requirements:
- Positive attitude, collaborative, and comfort in a fluid environment that changes as the business evolves. Prior experience developing accounting systems, processes and controls in a startup environment is a plus.
- Strong analytical and full-cycle accounting operations skills; outstanding communication skills; business partnership skills, must understand key business drivers, possess the ability to communicate financial implications/business impact and provide recommendations.
- High attention to detail with excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to lead, establish objectives, and drive to results within a collaborative team culture; possess excellent collaboration and relationship-building skills
- Advanced Excel skills are essential; experience using SFDC, QuickBooks, Bill.com or similar ERP solutions are a plus.
- Experience in designing and implementing accounting processes and controls.
- Experience in evaluating financial reporting, billing or IT systems and making actionable recommendations.
- Bachelor's degree in business, finance or related field; CPA/MBA preferred, but not required.